6 WAYS TO REACH GOD’S WORLD: Go (Session Three)
For a PDF of this resource, 6 Ways GO.
You will need the following materials:
- 6 Ways DVD
- 6 Ways booklet
- List of 100+ ideas to go (see below then print out copies)
- Cross-cultural short or long-term missionary you can interview
1. INTRODUCTION (five minutes)
Invite participants to report back one new thing they learned about prayer last week
Invite participants to repeat the key verses (James 1:22, Hebrews 7:25)
Remind participants our purpose is to spark each person towards passionate, practical engagement in global missions
Provide heads up for today’s topic: GO. See pages 8-9 in 6 Ways booklet.
2. BIBLE (three minutes)
Verse: Acts 1:8 “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you: and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth”
**Using a map, explain the trajectory of the Book of Acts: From Jerusalem (Acts 1:1-5:42), to Judea (Acts 6:1-8:3), Samaria (Acts 8:4-11:26), to the end of the earth (Acts 13-28). Note 15 chapters are devoted to the end of the earth, more than half the entire book.
3. PERSONAL STORY (five to ten minutes)
Interview someone from your church who has gone on short or long term missions. Ask where they went, what they did, why they went, and what they learned about God, about the people they served and about themselves? Include a few photos, or other realia such as music or maps to help people appreciate the context for this person’s cross-cultural mission work.
4. VIDEO (five minutes)
Show the video “GO” of the 6 Ways DVD series. Invite participants to share one response with another person after watching the DVD.
5. PERSONAL ACTION STEP (ten minutes)
In groups of 4-5 people, each person reads three ideas from the list of ideas to go. After the entire list has been read aloud, then discuss (1) have you ever done any of these? (2) Are you interested to go on any of these? and (3) which one step will you take this upcoming week?
RESOURCES FOR SESSION 3: GO
ANGLICAN RESOURCES FOR “GO”
Anglican Catechism: Review how Anglicans as a church understand individual ministry from the Book of Common Prayer (BCP) p.855 ”Through whom does the Church carry out its mission? The Church carries out its mission through the ministry of all its members, “i.e. every-member ministry not special select people do ministry.
Missionary: Start to pray your home church would send out short and long term missionaries in the coming year. BCP p.247 “Almighty and everlasting God, we thank you for your servant N., whom you called to preach the Gospel to the people of ____. Raise up in this and every land evangelists and heralds of your kingdom, that your Church may proclaim the unreachable riches of our Savior Jesus Christ.”
Mission of the Church: Ask your priest, deacon or bishop to use a minute in the announcements on a Sunday to explain the implications for global missions from BCP p.257 “O God, you have made of one blood all the peoples of earth, and sent your blessed Son to preach peace to those who are far off and to those who are near: Grant that people everywhere may seek after you and find you, bring the nations into your fold, pour out your Spirit upon all flesh and hasten the coming of your kingdom”, p. 257 “…O God of all the nations of the earth: Remember the multitudes who have been created in your image but have now known the redeeming work of our Savior Jesus Christ; and grant that, by the prayers and labors of your holy Church they may be brought to know and worship you as you have been revealed in your Son.”
The Hymnal 1982: Either as a class or individually read through and sing some of the great hymns of the church, e.g., #508 (Breathe on me, Breath of God), #690 (Guide me O thou great Jehovah).
Anglican Frontier Missions: Check out www.anglicanfrontiers.com to see opportunities for short and long term mission to regions of the world where there are few, if any, Christians today.
LIST OF IDEAS FOR GO!
- Visit an ethnic restaurant in __your city/ town__ this week
- Visit an ethnic church in __your city/ town__ next Sunday
- Visit an ethnic grocery store in __your city/ town__ this week
- Go on or organize a short term trip with your church to a needy area within 100 miles
- Go on or organize a short term trip with your church to a needy area within 500 miles
- Make a video on short term trip with your church
- Host international exchange students in your city/ town
- Invite your Priest on a “Pastor Trip” overseas with Anglican Frontier Mission
- Administration: coordinate seasonal mailings for missionary prayer letters
- Administration: trip coordinator for short term overseas teams
- Relief work as needed
- Prayer Journey to unreached people groups
- Teach missionary kids
- Professor at overseas university
- Veterinary training for indigenous people
- Sports ministry
- Medical/ dental ministry
- Media specialist in journalism, writing, videography, photography
- Construction/ design
- Teach English as Second Language
- VBS overseas
- Computer consulting
- Visit missionaries
- On an overseas business trip, schedule a visit to an indigenous Christian ministry
- On an overseas vacation trip, schedule a visit to an indigenous church
- Specialized, professional, long-term opportunities:
- Bible translation, linguistics, ethnographic research
- Cross-cultural church planting
- Environmental research
- Public health
- Agricultural development
- International justice
- Psychological counseling for missionaries and missionary kids
- Cross-cultural business consulting and start-ups
- Language student e.g., Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, Turkish, and tribal languages